Computer-assisted translation or machine assisted/aided translation refers to a software-based automatic translation utility which helps the translators in their translation work. This basically functions by storing translated text along with the source text into a translation database, and then helps in further translation work by suggesting the pre-translated memory segments. This enables enhancement in the speed, consistency, and quality of the translation work. And it even makes the translators work easy. CAT has conveniently modified the manual data translation into an automatic software-based translation, making the process of translation much more interactive between the translator and the computer. Some of the advanced tools even analyze the word counts, units, text content, etc.
CAT has made the translation work of text documents more reliable and fast, using the following features:
- Segmentation: It divides the contents of the document into a number of segments, which provides help in further translation work. These segments are then popped up when the translator works on similar sort of sentences, that matches up with the saved translations so that instead of typing and performing the translation of the similar text once again, he/she can use the pre-saved translated data. This saves a lot of time, energy, and efforts of the translator and even helps in maintaining consistency within the whole translated document.
- Correspondence: It saves the translations with its respective sources to perform future translations in a more precise and accurate manner. Both the source and its translation will be together referred as a translation unit. It helps in maintaining a good quality within the translations, since it provides a utility to search for any particular segment, visit it, and then revise it one more time, if there is any doubt for translation.
- Memorization: Its main and base functionality is its database, where all the translations are saved, searched, and retrieved for future translations. This memory is commonly known as ‘translation memory’, without which the whole process of automatic translation becomes insignificant.
- Automation: Its automatic find- and-retrieve feature makes it possible to find or search for a specific segment of data, and then retrieve its translation automatically, making it a powerful tool. The translator can him/herself decide whether or not the suggested segment be considered as a correct translation for use or not.
- Add-ons: It also provides some additional features, such as tools for index/concordance, import/export, text search, statistics, text formatting, and alignment. It even includes automatic watch list check to maintain a command over the quality and Internet tools for information access through the Internet.
It may interest you to know about the article of Translation memory .
Using an automated tool like CAT will provide the following benefits:
- Systematic translation: CAT divides the data into smaller sections or segments and stores them into the memory with it source, making it convenient to be used in future translations with better accuracy. This makes it easy to work on projects that involves large amount of translation, using correct terminologies, or jargons wherever required. It becomes easy to handle translation of large sized projects, in a shorter period of time.
- Consistency and authenticity: Since all the translations can be directly incorporated from the suggestions of the previous translations in the entire project, consistency in terminology and style of writing can be easily achieved. Once consistency is achieved by following the correct laws of translation, authenticity within the data can also be maintained.
- Less error-prone: Since similar segments are translated in the same manner with the same terminology, across the whole document, the chances of occurrence of human errors get reduced. Hence, the translator can directly use the suggested part everywhere, avoiding the chances to miss a segment or to perform the wrong translation.
- Time & energy efficient approach: Using the suggested translations, instead of figuring out everything what is quoted, saves translator’s effort and time. The translator can easily focus on what is new for him to translate, instead of performing translations of everything he already knew. This makes both the translation work and the translator more efficient, by maintaining consistency and by enhancing the translation skills, respectively.
- Assistance: CAT even provides the facility revision of translation from time to time. And that is why it has become an essential and efficient tool for both the translation service buyers and the translators.
- Base trainer: CAT can also be used to train other machine translation engines for creating translation memory.
- Futuristic approach: CAT has been promoting a paper-less approach by suggesting and helping translators for a large number of translations.
- Backup support: CAT even provides backup support for translated files, so that the translator can never miss even a single translation work, and if by any case such a mistake is made, then the file can easily be retrieved.
Manual Patent Translation is always Better Decision. Read here – Why Manual Patent Translation should be preferred over Translation Software?
We at the Patent Translations Express, have an exclusive network of native patent translators which are subject matter experts (SME’s) as well as having native language expertise.