A Program that enables people to translate content from one language to another on a computer is translation software. Specialized software for translation is being increasingly used by translators to speed up and increase quality levels of translation procedure.
A CAT tool or “Computer Aided Translation” is a computer program that helps to translate text documents more efficiently. Further discussion on the importance of Computer Aided Translation is available here.
It is executed through four stages as follows:
- A CAT-tool, segments the text to be translated into segments (sentences) and presents the segments in a convenient way, to make translating easier and faster.
- The translation of each segment is saved together with the source text. Source text and translation will always be treated and presented as a translation unit (TU).
- The main function of a CAT tool is to save the translation units in a database, called translation memory (TM), so that they can be re-used for any other text, or even in the same text.
- The fourth basic function of a CAT tool is the automatic look-up in terminology databases and the automatic display and insertion of the search results.
Don’t forget to explore the WIPO and its development of machine translation
Translator Software Tools
There are different types of translation software available on the marketplace out of which the following are worth mentioning:
1. SDL Trados Studio 2017
Complete computer-assisted translation (CAT) tool for language professionals opting to edit and view projects, use agreed terminology to get the maximum out of a single application.
This tool has multiple innovative features such as predictive typing, self-learning machine translation (MT), quality checking which contributes to increased productivity in less time. It supports all file formats from Microsoft Word, Google Docs to advance formats like Adobe InDesign.
SDL Trados Studio is available in two editions:
- SDL Trados Studio Freelance– It provides all the tools to translate and review work. It is specially designed for individual translators.
- SDL Trados Studio Professional– It allows working with unlimited languages on a network.
It is a computer-assisted translation tool which runs on Microsoft Windows and on Mac using Parallels or VMWareFusion. It supports a wide range of languages, file formats and is compatible with most other translation tools.
The translation products by memoQ include:
- memoQ translator pro– designed for individual translators and reviewers who work independently or with other translators.
- memoQ project manager– designed to allow project managers at translation companies and other companies to create, assign and manage projects for translation and review.
- memoQ cloud server– a software that offers cutting-edge cloud-based translation management.
- Language Terminal– free project management tool which can be used by freelance translators to manage their translation work. [ Translator Software Tools ]
3. Wordfast Classic
Wordfast Classic (WFC) integrates with Microsoft Word to create a powerful translation memory tool that is quick to learn and easy to use thus making it the BEST TRANSLATION MEMORY SOLUTION FOR MICROSOFT WORD.
4. CafeTran Espresso
CafeTran Espresso is a feature-rich CAT tool which is easy to use. It supports multiple file formats, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, LibreOffice, InDesign, Framemaker, AutoCAD and cross-platform translation environment (Mac-Windows-Linux).
Some of its features include:
- Very fast using RAM for translation memories
- Spell checker and thesaurus (requires free OpenOffice/LibreOffice)
- Autowriter completes and suggests words on-the-fly based on activated memories
- Segments and terms management in a preferred SQL database
- Network memory server for remote or teamwork
MateCat is an enterprise-level, online CAT tool designed to make post-editing and outsourcing easy. It provides a complete set of features to manage and monitor translation projects. The tool comes absolutely free of cost. Supports 90 languages in multiple operating systems.
6. Déjà Vu X3
The important features of this software, Déjà Vu X3 include:
- Dynamic AutoWrite
- Machine translation direct integration
- Multi-File preview
- Inline formatting and spell-checker
- Quality Assurance module with defined and customizable rules
- Multilingual, multi-format and multi-file projects
- Alignment of previously translated files
- Multi-file and Multi-format alignment project
- Translation Memory and Termbase administration
7. Fluency Translation Suite 2013
This tool conveniently and intuitively gathers many helpful resources and tools into its interface thus helping in a faster and accurate translation.
The varied products include:
Specially designed for freelancer or a multi-person organization
- Fluency TM & Term Server
Improves quality and accuracy thereby lowering costs and increasing revenue
- Fluency Collaboration Server
- Fluency Flow Project Management
It is an easy-to-use browser-based solution that empowers clients, project managers, and service vendors to all work together
- Fluency Transcription Tool
A tool used to help transcribe text from any audio, visual or document file
- Fluency Backup
In contrast to other translation memory systems, Transit boasts of a database which is exclusively sentence based. It offers an optimized solution to make your translation teams even more productive. Operating systems supported are Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows XP. Translator Software Tools
It is a fully featured TMS, providing a complete Translation Workflow solution including a CAT tool Module on a single, unified platform. All common file types are supported. It delivers a complete range of tools for the translator, reviewer and project manager via the web.
10. Smartling Translation Management System
It is a powerful cloud-based, software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution for managing localization. With a focus on speed, quality, cost, and choice, Smartling’s translation software gives customers the tools, visibility, and flexibility needed to optimize localization. Translator Software Tools
It is a translation ecosystem in the cloud that makes it easy for companies and talents to connect and collaborate.
At PTE, our experienced team of subject matter experts translates patent and associated documents in various technical domains with keeping in mind the uncompromising accuracy and quality of the translations.
We live and work by our motto: “✓ Lowest Prices OR We Match ✓ Exclusive Patent Translators ✓ Best Quality OR Do Not Pay“
Just submit the information below and we will revert with an exact quote in a matter of hours.
Request Price Quote
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to order a translation package ?
To purchase a translation package, all you need is a valid credit card or a PayPal account. You can also ask for custom price quote and further pay with multiple options. You need to either sign in “My Account” or create and activate a new account when checking out.
Creating My Account
How do I register at PTE ?
You will be asked to share your details (your full name, business email, phone number, etc.) before making the first purchase. You also have the option of directly registering at “My Account” page where you need to submit your business email. Once you click on that Register button, you will receive your account details on registered email. Further, you can edit your password and account details.
About Our Services
What payment methods do you accept?
We prefer to accept payments via Pay Pal. However, if you are not comfortable with it, we can also accept wire transfers.
Can I change or cancel my order?
Changes or cancellations to an already placed order can be done in two ways:
- By sending an email to the account manager assigned to you for this delivery (the details will be in your order confirmation email).
- By calling our customer services helpline at +1 (214) 269 0626.
While we will make every attempt to change your order, additional charges may apply if work on the request has begun or if the scope changes significantly. Therefore, please make changes as soon as you can.
What about iterations/corrections?
Any corrections needed due to our error will be done at no charge. Small revisions will be done at no charge. Changes to the scope of the project and additional translations will be charged at our normal rate.
How does Patent Translations Express (PTE) ensure translation quality?
We know Patent translation is all about quality and thus Patent Translations Express have put in place various mechanism to ensure clients get only quality work. The process of quality checks start right at the time of recruitment wherein we employ only those patent translators/editors who hold technical degrees such as PhD or other relevant higher degrees with an understanding of patent literature. The translators we work with have been selected based on their technical expertise, meticulous translation ability and outstanding client servicing capability.
Apart from this we have a long experience of translating patent related documents into and from 40+ different languages. No matter whether it is a patent application, a prior art, an office action document and/or patent litigation document, our team is equipped enough to deliver the desired result.
How long does a translation take to complete?
The rate at which translation is done depend on various associated factors like context, complexity and layout of the text; still on an average a translator completes 1500-3000 words per day.
In what format, files should be given for translation?
We prefer documents those are provided in electronic format like MS Word because it can reduce cost and delivery time both.
Can you guarantee my project will be kept confidential?
Yes, we take the full responsibility of confidentiality of your documents and thus we sign NDA with all our esteemed clients before taking up any such project. You can rest in peace that any information provided to us will never be disclosed to any third party, under any circumstances.
Apart from this all our translators and editors are bonded with Confidentiality Agreement that prevents them from disclosing any such confidential agreement to people other than those specified.
Can you provide any further insight into the use of manual translators versus CAT tools?
Regarding CAT tools vs manual translators, please note our observations below:
- When it comes to technical manuals, which are likely to have a number of terms repeated throughout, CAT tools may be very useful. However, when it comes to translating patents, where variation of meaning behind each word and sentence may be different in different patents, this technology is unsuitable and ineffective.
- Also, especially when quality of translation is to be done keeping specific jurisdictional laws in mind, CAT tools may not be as useful.
Hence, we believe to use CAT effectively, one must know both languages really well. Else, one will not be able to detect the shortcomings of the software and, won’t be able to produce unambiguous high-quality translations.
Delivering Your Report
What languages you covered ?
The translation can be delivered in any of the below mentioned Languages:
However, if you have some specific requirement or preferences, it will be delivered in that languages only.
I am still confused – What do I do?
No Problem! We are here to help you – e-mail us to discuss your requirements.