Qualities of an Efficient Patent Translator : Translating a legal document into other languages is not an easy job. It is quite challenging as each country have its own legal and patent filing procedure. Even a minor mistake in translation of techno legal documents will cost havoc. Hence it is an absolute necessity to take the help of an experienced and professional patent translator who can execute the work with confidence and avoid unprecedented mistakes. Also, an experienced translator can gain enough trust of a company to execute future projects smoothly without any mistake and in accordance to their needs.
The following are the pre-requisites of an efficient patent translator:
- Mastering the source and native language fluently.
- Sound knowledge of legal norms and regulations.
- Drafting a proper claim with appropriate scope in the target language.
- Proper command over the technological vocabulary for the relevant countries.
- Knowledge of technology and industry sector.
It is also equally important for a patent translator to be expertise in the similar domain as that of the content material that is to be translated. A professional patent translator is not just a mere linguist. He or she should be well experienced enough to understand where the translation will be used and be able to translate complex legal materials, phrases and diagrams.
Let’s have a look at what all qualities we should expect from a patent translator working with an IP translation service. Any efficient legal language expert should possess the following characteristics or qualities:
- Proficient understanding of the subject matter of the patent. This understanding is absolutely indispensable so that proper technological terminology can be used. Patents are precise techno-legal documents. Any improper usage of punctuation or language while translation can change the meaning of a patent altogether or can change the potency of the patent to a great extent. Not only it will cost the earth to combat the litigation but can also lead to patent infringement in certain scenarios.
- The amount of time the patent translator has spent in the related domain. This would enable to determine the knowledge of the translator regarding the subject matter and on-going research and development in the related field.
- The translator is required to be familiar with existing industry brands, products and company culture.
- Patent translators are required to have a detailed knowledge regarding the legal aspects and filing process for the target country. Sometimes legal experts are granted permission to ‘improve’ the legal document technical or legally even if it’s not required. These changes may however harm the patent potentially leaving it to be incompatible according to industry standards. This will eventually lead to spending of longer hours to fix the issue and obviously at extra cost. So patent translators while being chosen should be done with utmost care so that they have exclusive knowledge of as to how to translate the patent accurately and make it ready for filing in the corresponding country.
Choose the better deal: Human Translator Vs Machine Translator
How to find out the most efficient translator?
Now it’s a difficult part but still one can look forward to translators who:
- Will be able to provide references and examples of his translation work. This will help to know about the quality of work of the translator.
- Maintain a follow up with the reference to ascertain the quality of service provided.
- Have worked considerably at a consistent pace with clients (a long-term translator is always preferable) and the approved work of the translator.
Patent Translations Express (PTE) is a trusted name when you are opting for consistency, quality, accuracy and linguistic technology. With a team of experienced language and subject matter experts, PTE have been translating patents and other associated documents in various technical domains such as life-sciences, chemistry, hi-tech & mechanical engineering. PTE understands that IP is the lifeline of any business. Our translators also endow the same thought and work accordingly to help protect IP of companies on a global scale.
For more information about our service on translation, do not hesitate to click here.