Patents are complex technical documents that recognize rights of the inventors, designers, and creators to benefit exclusively from their inventions. Since much of the success of your patent filing depends on the way you present your idea to the respective patent office, it is important to translate patent documents carefully. A single error or wrongly used word can make or break your whole goal and thus utmost care should be taken to ensure your translation is correct, true and comprehensive. Below are some important points to consider while doing the translation of patents in-house or outsourcing it to some professional patent translation companies.
Important Points to be considered during Translation of Patents
- Go for native writers of the target language-Language is a kind of conditioning that develops slowly and steadily with the passage of time. While doing multi-country patent filing, we are required to submit a translation of a patent document in the target language. Obviously, our main aim is to ensure that the translated document is true and correct in all its forms. This can be ensured only when the document was translated by a native person whose first language is the language we are intending to file our application with. Follow this link which will help How to find an efficient patent translator?
- Expert in the subject matter- Translating patent document is not like casual translation where we don’t bother much about every comma and full stop we used. Here, a single alteration in a comma or full-stop can change the whole meaning of the document which can have adverse financial and legal consequences. Thus, it is very important that the document is translated by a person who is well-acquainted with the subject matter of the content. A subject matter expert can use the exact terms that are required to express the actual idea of the document.
- Acquaintances with the technical vocabulary- Patents are scientific and technical documents that contain a method, process, or technology of a particular stream. It can be related to engineering stream, life-science stream, automotive engineering stream, nano-technology, or computer science. It is therefore important to ensure that the translator has adequate knowledge of that particular stream and he/she is well-acquainted with terminologies and vocabularies used on that stream.
- Formats required by the patent office- Adhering merely to language-related norms is not enough and you also need to be familiar with the regulatory norms prevailing in that jurisdiction. If you are not much familiar with the formats required by the respective patent office then you may end up submitting your invention in a format that doesn’t meet the requirements of the respective patent office.
- An in-house multidisciplinary team of- While outsourcing patent translation works, it is important to ensure that the patent translation service provider is equipped with a team of translators, proof-readers, linguists, lawyers and engineers who can provide real and accurate inputs so that the theme of the document remains intact.
Following above-mentioned rules can help you do an effective, true and accurate translation of patents and thus your chances of approval will increase manifold.
How can PTE help you?
Our experienced and knowledgeable team of translators have expertise in both language and subject matter of various technical domains such as life-sciences, chemistry, hi-tech & mechanical engineering. Apart from the translator team, ex-patent patent examiners also add a valuable presence to our team. For more information about our service on translation, do not hesitate to click here.